Pharmacy & Medical Supply
Medical Supply Department
Thank you for your interest in the Department of Pharmacy and supply at Jordan Hospital.
The department of Pharmacy and Supply at Jordan Hospital
is responsible for dispensing medications and provide medical supplies daily
for an average inpatient population of 300 patients with additional services
provided in the outpatients setting.
About the Pharmacy and Supply Department
The Department of
Pharmacy and Supply at Jordan Hospital consist of
clinical pharmacists, pharmacists, technicians as well as technical and support
personnel, who work together to assure patients receive the highest quality pharmaceutical care possible.
- Direct patient care or pharmaceutical care is provided
by all employees of the department
- Medications are supplied 24 hours a day, 7 days a
- The department of Pharmacy and Supply provides
medication and counseling services to different patients, adults,
pediatrics, and geriatrics.
- The department also provides drug information services
to different medical and nursing departments on request.
- Pharmaceutical care includes, but is not limited to,
appropriate, accurate, and timely dispensing of medications to patients.
- Professional and ethical practices are maintained at
all times through adherence to the departments, institutions, and
profession's code conduct.
Vision: The department's vision is to be standard setting in its
provision of direct patient pharmaceutical care and to continuously develop
methods that improve this practice.
Mission: The Department of
Pharmacy and Supply at Jordan
Hospital is committed to provide safe, high quality
pharmaceutical care to our patients in an atmosphere of educational growth,
shared respect, and communication.
Hospital provides an
organized pharmaceutical service to meet the needs of the patients.
- The service is conducted in accordance with accepted
ethical and professional standards of practice, and meets all legal
- Provide uninterrupted flow of materials and supplies
required to operate the hospital.
The Department of Pharmacy and Supply's goal
- Ensure safe and accurate dispensing of medication at
the right time for the right patient during 24 hours a day.
- Improve patient satisfaction and confidence on services
provided either by the inpatient or outpatient sectors of pharmacy
- Reduce number of documented incident reports and
complaints from patients and other departments of the hospital.
- Improve and promote cooperation and coordination
between pharmacy department and other hospital departments.
- Achieve harmonious and productive relationship with
- Keep inventory loss to the minimum.
- Maintain and improve quality of all supplies (quality
- Find and develop competent suppliers.
- Standardization of purchased items where possible.
- Purchase required items in terms of quality &
efficacy at the lowest total cost.
- Accomplish the purchasing objectives at the lowest
possible level of administration.
- Information management.
- The Pharmacy and Supply Department provides services for all
patients at Jordan
pharmacy department is responsible to provide different services to
different hospital departments. Pharmacy staff members coordinate,
storage, prepare, dispense and distribute all medications including
sterile products and ensure full compliance with standers of practice. Services
include, but are not limited to the following:
- The pharmacy is open 24 hours, doesn't close. We have
trained pharmacists and technicians that work in the pharmacy over
different shifts (A, B, C).
- Drug dispensing and distribution (interpreting,
clarifying, and processing medication orders) for both inpatient and outpatients.
- Providing drug-information service to physicians,
nurses, patients and other members of healthcare team to provide safe,
effective and efficient patient
centered use of medication therapy
- Participating in Quality Improvement programs.
- Participating in hospital committees.
- Participating in any other relevant activities.
- Drug and medical consumables and equipment supply and
procurement from different suppliers.
- Ensure the availability of highly qualified
professional pharmacists through training programs.
- Ensure the availability of all medicines at the right time
at lowest costs.
- Pharmacy dispenses medications to inpatients from a
centralized location in the hospital, the inpatient pharmacy.
- There are no satellite pharmacies.
- There are also 2 outpatient pharmacies, one is in the
main building of the hospital, and the other serves the clinics in the
medical center of the hospital.
- A pharmacy store which is responsible for ensuring
availability and storage of all medication and medical supplies. Also
available in the main hospital building.
- A clinical pharmacy division functions as a resource
for providing drug information to other health-care providers in the
hospital. Clinical pharmacists also participates in different medical
rounds and offers recommendation and monitoring regarding medication
dosing, drug interaction, dilution, rate of infusion, compatibility and
stability throughout the hospital in compliance with standards.
Pharmacy Internship Program was
established to provide pharmacy students with a structured learning experience
intended to provide a comprehensive exposure to Hospital and Health System
pharmacy practice. A number of pharmacy interns are accepted depending on the
availability and workload in the department.
The internship program is structured to provide experiences that supplement and
support formal didactic training. The program supports and guides the student
while at the same time allowing students to progress at their own pace, based
upon previous experience and interest. The start date and completion date for
each intern varies based on the academic calendar for the intern's respective College of Pharmacy.
Objectives: The objectives of the Pharmacy Internship Program are to:
Provide student interest with an overview of
counseling and communication with patients
- Provide student interns with an overview of the
current health care environment, allowing application of its
- Expose student interns to current standards of care
and policy driven pharmacy practice unique to hospitals and
- Provide student interns with the opportunity to grow
both professionally and personally, through interaction with health care
professionals, presentation and project processes and advancement in oral
and written skills.
- Provide student interns with opportunities to become
an integral part of the staff in the area they have been assigned.